This exceptional Magnette received a full bare-metal professional restoration in 2006 by Marque Specialists Tamar Valley MG Centre (with detailed photographic record of work done) at enormous expense. Completely reupholstered at that time. We believe that there has been subsequent work which includes new unleaded head conversion, positive to negative earth, new radiator, new front disk brake mod, which all accounts for the present remarkable condition and superb roadholding of this sporty little car.
It is a Magnette ZB with the uprated B-series 64HP engine with 1 ½ inch carbs, and it is the DeLuxe Varitone model which features larger rear window and optional two tone paintwork. It has leather trimmed individual front seats and rear bench seat. The dashboard and door cappings are in polished wood.
Will let the pictures speak for themselves. This has been a lot of car to restore and is being offered way below the cost of doing so. It is estimated that there are a mere 800 left worldwide, but there can be very few to this standard.
This car is open to any trial or inspection. Comes with Various Owner’s Manuals, Period Radio, Workshop Manual, old tax discs, bills, restoration photos, V5. Free tax and MOT exemption. Boot full of useful MG spares. MG Tool Roll.
For more info call John on 01253 734199 anytime.
The Magnette ZA was announced on 15 October 1953 and debuted at the 1953 London Motor Show. Deliveries started in March 1954. Production continued until 1956, when 18,076 had been built. It was the first monocoque car to bear the MG badge.
Built alongside the MG Sportscar range, the evocative sweeping lines of the Magnette were designed by Gerald Palmer, designer of the Jowett Javelin. It was the first appearance of the new four cylinder 1.5 L (1489 cc) B-Series I4 engine with twin 1¼ inch SU carburettors delivering 60 bhp (45 kW) driving the rear wheels through BMC’s new four speed manual gearbox with synchromesh on the top three ratios.
Suspension was independent at the front using coil springs and had a live axle with half elliptic leaf springs at the rear. The steering was by rack and pinion. Hydraulically operated Lockheed 10 in (254 mm) drum brakes were fitted to front and rear wheels. When leaving the factory the Magnette ZA originally fitted the recently developed belted textile-braced, radial-ply Pirelli Cinturato 165HR14 tyres (CA67).