We are again fortunate in acquiring yet another of these iconic British cars. This one comes from a mature MG Car Club owner, who acquired it from a fellow MGOC member who took 4 and half years to completely restore the car, which was stripped to the bare tub and meticulously rebuilt, virtually everything either renewed or overhauled. He then used it mainly to show at local Classic Car Rallies, where it was much admired.
It still presents impeccably today in all departments. Expertly repainted (with engine, interior and glass out) in Damask Red which shows off the new chrome nicely and tones with the plush leather-upholstered interior. The doorcards, seats, headlining, carpets and woodwork have all been painstakingly restored. Since the car’s rebirth in 2006, the upholstery has mellowed (in a nice way) and now looks like genuine light patina. Period radio fitted. New seatbelts front and rear. Functioning semaphores augmented with modern flashing indicators.
The engine was rebuilt incorporating hardened valve seats to run on unleaded fuel.
Transmission, gearbox, clutch, suspension, brakes, electrics, cooling system all attended to. Body re-metalled with many new panels and parts.….. Plus many hours burning the midnight oil to re-assemble it all. All work carefully detailed with photograph evidence in the car’s superb Restoration Album which accompanies the car.
Comes with History Folder, big pile of invoices, old MOT’s. Previous owner correspondence, Original owner’s handbook. Workshop manual, Original number plate, Buff log book, Hand tools, Spare keys. MGOC books.
This has been a lot of car to restore and is being offered way below the cost of doing so. It is estimated that there are a mere 800 left worldwide, but there can be very few to this standard.
For more info on the superb Showstopper, text or phone JOHN on 07909 231414 anytime.
Can deliver for £1/pr mile (one way)
The Magnette ZA was announced on 15 October 1953 and debuted at the 1953 London Motor Show. Deliveries started in March 1954. Production continued until 1956, when 18,076 had been built. It was the first monocoque car to bear the MG badge.
Built alongside the MG Sportscar range, the evocative sweeping lines of the Magnette were designed by Gerald Palmer, designer of the Jowett Javelin. It was the first appearance of the new four cylinder 1.5 L (1489 cc) B-Series I4 engine with twin 1¼ inch SU carburettors delivering 60 bhp (45 kW) driving the rear wheels through BMC’s new four speed manual gearbox with synchromesh on the top three ratios.
The new Magnette sold well, thanks in no small measure to its excellent road manners and traditional leather-upholstered interior, the latter featuring a beautiful wood-veneer dashboard and ‘semi-octagonal’ instrumentation. The Magnette was upgraded as the ‘ZB’ towards the end of 1956, gaining a more powerful engine and – in the range-topping Varitone version’s case – a wraparound rear window and two-tone paintwork; top speed rose to 90mph, making it the UK’s fastest 1.5-litre saloon.