1957 MG Magnette ZB Saloon … SOLD

The classic Magnette ZB Sports Saloon, has sports car credentials, despite its 4 doors, thanks to the uprated B-series 64HP engine with 1 ½ inch SU carbs.

This one has been further upgraded with :-
Type 9, 5-speed gearbox by Hi-Gear at a cost of £3,000,
Servo-assisted brakes,
Alternator.
Negative earth conversion.
High speed starter motor.
Cylinder head to unleaded.
Auto-reel front seatbelts.
Dashboard sub panel with electric tachometer and GPS socket.
Battery master switch.

In 2015 owner Reg Jackson, stated that he had previously undertaken the following restoration work (reputedly at a cost of £12,000) :-

Engine rebuilt professionally.
All new springs and dampers.
New three part sills to both sides.
Repair sections to doors and front wings.
New interior, carpets, door cards, headlining and seats in biscuit leather.
Brightwork and woodwork repolished.
All 4 floor panels replaced with new.
New Boot floor.
New box panels rear chassis legs.

Recent new two-tone paintwork professionally carried out in Porcelain Green over BRG Metallic base coat and lacquer.

Understandably it looks and drives like a real showstopper, with lots of smiles per mile guaranteed.

This matching numbers example is open to any trial or inspection. Comes with, Full DVLA & Owner’s Club past history, V5 logbook, MOT to February 2023 with no advisories, 2 sets of keys, period radio, free tax and MOT exemption. bulging history folder with DVD’s, all books and tools.

For further info, call or text John on 07909 231414. Car located in Lytham St Annes in Lancs, transport arranged at £1 pr/mile (one way only charged)

Technical History

The Magnette ZA was announced on 15 October 1953 and debuted at the 1953 London Motor Show. Deliveries started in March 1954. Production continued until 1956, when 18,076 had been built. It was the first monocoque car to bear the MG badge.

Built alongside the MG Sportscar range, the evocative sweeping lines of the Magnette were designed by Gerald Palmer, designer of the Jowett Javelin. It was the first appearance of the new four cylinder 1.5 L (1489 cc) B-Series I4 engine with twin 1¼ inch SU carburettors delivering 60 bhp (45 kW) driving the rear wheels through BMC’s new four speed manual gearbox with synchromesh on the top three ratios.

Suspension was independent at the front using coil springs and had a live axle with half elliptic leaf springs at the rear. The steering was by rack and pinion. Hydraulically operated Lockheed 10 in (254 mm) drum brakes were fitted to front and rear wheels. When leaving the factory the Magnette ZA originally fitted the recently developed belted textile-braced, radial-ply Pirelli Cinturato 165HR14 tyres (CA67).