1957 MG Magnette ZB “Show Car” …. SOLD
We are again fortunate in acquiring yet another of these iconic British cars, this one comes from a mature MG Car Club owner who finished off the restoration and has lovingly maintained it. He used it mainly to show at local Classic Car Rallies, where it was much admired.
It presents impeccably today in all departments, especially the engine bay, which is nicely detailed to exhibition standards. Fully repainted (with engine, interior and glass out) in Olde English White over Damask Red which shows off the new chrome nicely and compliments the new red and cream piped leather upholstery. The interior, headlining, carpets and woodwork have all been restored. It has a spirited performance on the road, with a nice vocal sound.
The body restoration was completed in 2014 to high standard. All doors, shut panels, and various other panels repaired by John Shorten at Lenwade (Magnette Specialists).
Engine, suspension, gearbox, carbs etc, checked re-assembled and refitted. The engine was converted to leadfree several years ago and is running beautifully.
New parts included:-
Recon fuel tank
New chrome etc etc
….. Plus many hours burning the midnight oil to re-assemble it all.
Comes with History Folder, big pile of invoices, old MOT’s and tax discs from 1989, New MOT on sale (for peace of mind only as now exempt, road tax exempt too) Original number plate, owners Handbook, Workshop manuals, MG tools and box of spares.
This has been a lot of car to restore and is being offered way below the cost of doing so. It is estimated that there are a mere 800 left worldwide, but there can be very few to this standard.
For more info on the superb Showstopper, text or phone JOHN on 07909 231414 anytime.
Can deliver for £1/pr mile (one way)
See video of this car here https://youtu.be/4BurBsBL7t4
The Magnette ZA was announced on 15 October 1953 and debuted at the 1953 London Motor Show. Deliveries started in March 1954. Production continued until 1956, when 18,076 had been built. It was the first monocoque car to bear the MG badge.
Built alongside the MG Sportscar range, the evocative sweeping lines of the Magnette were designed by Gerald Palmer, designer of the Jowett Javelin. It was the first appearance of the new four cylinder 1.5 L (1489 cc) B-Series I4 engine with twin 1¼ inch SU carburettors delivering 60 bhp (45 kW) driving the rear wheels through BMC’s new four speed manual gearbox with synchromesh on the top three ratios.
The new Magnette sold well, thanks in no small measure to its excellent road manners and traditional leather-upholstered interior, the latter featuring a beautiful wood-veneer dashboard and ‘semi-octagonal’ instrumentation. The Magnette was upgraded as the ‘ZB’ towards the end of 1956, gaining a more powerful engine and – in the range-topping Varitone version’s case – a wraparound rear window and two-tone paintwork; top speed rose to 90mph, making it the UK’s fastest 1.5-litre saloon.