Beautiful Show Standard car with new rebuilt engine.
Stunning, rust-free example of this automotive classic, in Lichfield Green over Dorchester Grey with unmarked interior to tone. Has been the recipient of a substantial programme of restorative works bringing it to the exceptional standard it presents today.
Brief restoration details:-
Professionally repainted to high standard in attractive duotone scheme – cost £1,500
Complete, photographic engine rebuild, cost £1700, not yet run in
Full stainless exhaust
New clutch and refurbed master cylinder
Zenith Carb professionally rebuilt – cost £125
New front wings
New steel sun visor hood
5 New white walls fitted with new hub caps
All new suspension bushes front and rear
Electrics changed to neg earth now running with an alternator
New electric fuel pump and electric washers w/new fuse box
Electric wipers (instead of antiquated vacuum system)
New tailored carpet set
Leather upholstery in mint condition
Door cards 1950’s original and great condition
No rot anywhere, jack up on jacking points, floors sills boot floor perfect
Bonnet emblem and rear lights re chromed
Fully detailed engine bay
Badge bar with badges
Period Motorola radio
Front seat belts
Nice transferable reg worth £2,300!
DVLA v5 present
Owner’s Club certificate confirming it was registered and manufactured 1955
Comes with 1950’s Ford Consul sales brochure, original driver’s handbook, assorted workshop manuals.
Drives incredibly well, and is a rare sight on the roads these days as according to the DVLA site, there are less than 40 currently taxed and sorned. Prices are still yet to boom like their sister car the Zephyr. This one will be next!! 50’s Revival Weekend Here we come!!
For more info on this very special car, phone/text John on 07909 231414. Also see my other British Classics on this site.
Car located in Lytham St Annes, Lancashire. Transport arranged at £1 pr loaded mile.
The 1500 cc four-cylinder Consul stole the show at Earls Court in 1950 with its sleek North American styling. It was the start of Ford of Britain’s successful attack on the family saloon car market. With stablemate Zephyr, it was the first British Ford with modern unibody construction. The Consul was given the Ford code of EOTA. Most cars were four-door saloons with body design by George Walker of the parent United States Ford Motor Company, but a few estate cars were made by the coachbuilder Abbott and convertibles by Carbodies.
It was also the first car they built with up-to-date technology. The new 1508 cc 47 bhp (35 kW) engine had overhead valves, and hydraulic clutch operation was used, which in 1950 was an unusual feature. However, a three-speed gearbox, with synchromesh on second and top, was retained. The Consul was also the first British production car to use the now-common MacPherson strut independent front suspension.
The bench front seat was trimmed in PVC, and the handbrake was operated by an umbrella-style pull lever under the facia (dash). The initial dashboard was a flat, symmetrical panel with interchangeable instrument cluster and glovebox, but from September 1952, a redesigned asymmetrical dashboard was fitted, and the instruments, consisting of speedometer, ammeter, and fuel gauge, were positioned in a housing above the steering column, with a full-width parcel shelf on which an optional radio could be placed.
A car tested by The Motor in 1953 had a top speed of 72 mph and could accelerate from 0-60 mph in 28 seconds. A fuel consumption of 26 miles per imperial gallon was recorded. The test car cost £732 including taxes. A total of 227,232 were produced between 1951 and 1956.