1953 Daimler Conquest Saloon …. Sold

One of the best you will see. Extensively restored 7 years ago, consequently the vehicle looks in amazing condition, and has had many a great day out at classic car rallies with her last enthusiast keeper. During the restoration the bodywork was stripped to bare metal with photographs on file.

Now resplendent in new two-tone paintwork of Georgian Silver over Ebony Black which compliments the sumptuous new Cream interior. It would make a fabulous Wedding Car, providing an extra income, as well as being a Classic Show car.

Ownership also allows membership of the prestigious Daimler & Lanchester Owners Club which offer technical support, spare parts, rallies and cheap insurance for these superb cars. Daimler for many years held the Royal Warrant to supply motorcars to the Royal household.

Road tax and MOT exempt, however it has a new MOT to January 2020, for peace of mind.

An opportunity to buy a motorcar of fine tradition and engineering which will surely appreciate.

Comes with folder of history. Original Owner’s Handbook, Workshop Manual.

For more on this car text/phone John on 07909 231414.

Car is in Lytham St Annes, Lancs. Transport arranged at £1 pr/mile (one way only charged.

Origins

The Conquest saloon was released to the public in 1953 as a replacement for the Daimler Consort, but was shorter and lighter, with better performance. The whole car appeared to have been developed within four months of Bernard Docker, then managing director of BSA, taking on the additional responsibility of managing director of Daimler in January 1953. The Daimler Conquest was meant to be an affordable Daimler, priced at ₤1066. (That price may well be linked to the name Conquest or then again maybe it was named after the 1953 British Conquest of Mt Everest) It was pedigree with pace, at a reasonable price. They still had luxurious, well-appointed traditional wood-grain and leather interiors.

Presented as a new car, the 75 hp (56 kW) Conquest actually originated from the 1950 Fourteen or Leda, produced by Daimler’s subsidiary, Lanchester. The chassis was suitably modified to accommodate the new 2.4-litre 6-cylinder engine. The usual Daimler large cruciform chassis had a double wishbone front suspension, with laminated torsion bars, telescopic dampers, and an anti-roll bar, while the rear suspension used leaf springs with telescopic dampers.

All cars featured automatic chassis lubrication to 21 points, using a pump controlled by exhaust heat at startup.

Cam and peg steering was used, and Girling hydro-mechanical brakes: hydraulic front, mechanical rear. The Daimler four-speed preselector gearbox with “fluid flywheel” was standard.

A saloon tested by The Motor magazine in 1953 had a top speed of 81.6 mph (131.3 km/h) and could accelerate from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) in 24.3 seconds. A fuel consumption of 20.3 miles per imperial gallon was recorded. The test car cost £1511 including taxes.

Unfortunately, sales were affected by increasing prices and by the fuel shortage caused by the Suez Crisis, and production ended in January 1958 with a run of only 4,568 Conquest models, even before a replacement model was in production. Now a rare sight on the roads of GB with only 235 of all variants left .