For those who value attention to detail as much as quality and performance, this fine Crested Eagle looks most enticing, its user-friendly synchromesh gearbox and comfortable six-light coachwork with ‘as new’ leather interior being the icing on the already richly-filled cake!
Thought to be one of only four such Alvis cars to remain, one of which is in the USA and another in Sweden, this Charlesworth-bodied Saloon is finished in Burgundy over Black and trimmed in Burgundy leather. Delivered new to its first owner in Newmarket during September/October 1936, it was subsequently acquired by a Mr L Camidge in 1965, Mr Tim Dale in 1980, Mr Mike Cummins in 1998, and Mr Brian Garratt in 2003. `DGY 755′ (or “Dignity” as nicknamed by last keeper) was treated to a thorough `chassis up’ restoration by an enthusiast during the 1980s, which included a complete refurbishment of the interior. The Alvis has driven less than 1,500 miles since the work was completed and the bodywork, paintwork, interior trim, four-speed all-synchromesh manual gearbox and 2.7 litre engine remain in good order.
The coachwork is exceptional with all door gaps correctly aligned and with that reassuring ‘clunk-click’ you only get with a coachbuilt car. Luxury interior fitments include folding footrests and extendable tables (for your champagne flutes) to rear. There is also an electric cigar lighter still in its 1930’s bacolite holder. Under the bonnet the Alvis handtools are in their original clips.
Will let the pictures speak for themselves.
The Alvis car company built its reputation with the immortal 12/50, a light-weight sports-tourer which offered delightful road manners allied to a fair turn of speed.
Built throughout most of the 1920s, it was sufficiently successful to allow Alvis to develop a number of technically interesting, if commercially challenging models including the 12.75 front-wheel-drive, a 14.75 six-cylinder touring car and even a straight-eight front-wheel-drive Grand Prix car. Needless to say, the latter was nearly too much for the finances of such a small company and it was only the ‘re-introduction’ of the 12/50 as ‘revival’ TJ and TK models in the early ‘30s that kept the doors open.
The good news was that the six-cylinder engine had proved very promising and had found its way into a new model in 1929, the Silver Eagle. Although a fine machine, it was the right car at the wrong time, the general depression making expensive models all but unsaleable hence the hurried re-introduction of the 12/50; nevertheless, the Silver Eagle was to form the basis of the Alvis range throughout the 1930s.
In 1932 the company introduced the Speed 20, a new low-slung six-cylinder sports model, announcing at the same time the more formal Crested Eagle as their Silver Eagle replacement, due for production the following year. Offered with a substantial X-braced chassis and independent front suspension, it usually carried formal limousine or saloon coachwork and was initially offered with the 2,148cc Silver Eagle engine, although capacity was soon to increase to 2,511cc, then 2,762cc (a single carburettor version of that used in the Speed 20) and eventually the 3,571cc engine also used in the Speed 25 and 3 ½-litre models.
The Crested Eagle was designed to compete in the luxury market, The car for the connoisseur was the slogan on contemporary brochures for this model. It was introduced with 6 Cylinder 2148cc or 2511cc engines, believed to be the first British car to adopt independent front suspension.
The six-light saloon coachwork by Charlesworth was the most popular choice on this chassis with 322 of the 602 Crested Eagles carrying this body style.