1968 Jaguar Mk2 240 with Manual/Overdrive SOLD

Bare-shell professional restoration

A truly exceptional Mk2 Jaguar which has had a full professional body restoration and bare-metal repaint. All panels have either been renewed or re-metalled to very high standard, no filler used. The interior is original apart from new carpets, new headlining and every piece of woodwork has been professionally re-lacqured like new.

The chrome is good and the car has been fully sorted mechanically with new water pump, propshaft, new silencers, 420 (3-pot) brakes, new servo, new clutch. The engine was compression checked and found to be in good tight condition indicating textbook oil pressure, 40 psi running, 20 psi idling hot. The car has no tendency to overheat on long runs and can hold its own on motorways with the optional electric overdrive. New front tyres fitted, MOT to February 2017.

The car bodywork is absolutely stunning in the best colour combo of Carnival Red with Ebony Black Interior. It could easily be mistaken for a new car with a paint finish to die for! The restorer, a specialist motor body engineer, prepared the car over a period of many years for his own personal use, hence uncompromising attention to detail.

Comes with original Jag toolkit, wheelbrace, Jaguar Workshop Manual, Original Green Cardboard Logbook, Old MOT’s. Free Historic Road Tax. Superb Motalite wood steering wheel.

Cars like this don’t come up very often and it is absolutely certain to appreciate with some Mk2 Jags now fetching over £50k. Bet they don’t look any better than this one!

For more info call John on 01253 734199. Can deliver UK Mainland for £1 pr/mile.

Model History

In September 1967 the 2.4 Litre and 3.4 Litre Mark 2 cars were rebadged as the 240 and 340 respectively. The 3.8 Litre model was discontinued. The 240 and 340 were interim models intended to fill the gap until the introduction of the XJ6 in September 1968. The 340 was discontinued on the introduction of the XJ6 but the 240 continued until April 1969; its price of £1364 was only £20 more than the first 2.4 in 1956.

Powered by the world-famous XK twin overhead camshaft engine the output of the 240 engine was increased, care of straight-ported E-type-style cylinder head fed via twin 1.75 SU’s plus a new distributor, and twin exhausts, raising the power by 11 per cent, from 120bhp to 133bhp. Consequently the 240 feels much livelier than the 2.4 in its original tune and not too far shy of the old 3.4. The optional automatic transmission was upgraded to a Borg-Warner 35 dual drive range. Servo-assisted disc brakes were fitted to all 4 wheels, slimmer S-Type bumpers with over-riders and 420 style hubcaps were fitted. For the first time the 2.4 litre model could exceed 100 mph and sales went up too.