1949 Riley RMC 2.5 litre Roadster. SOLD

Total bare-shell rebuild, no expense spared.

Owned from 1997 to 2007 by an Isle of Skye enthusiast who purchased it from Malcolm C Elder (Classic Car Sales) for £20,000 in a part-restored state. He then spent a further £80,000 plus, having the car completely rebuilt to 100 point standard. There are over 100 Bills in the history file testifying to the thoroughness of the work which was mainly carried out by Classic Restorations (Scotland) Ltd, well known for detailing and presenting Concours-Winners.

The Riley has had very little road-use subsequent to the rebuild, so is still in new-condition throughout. It is a genuine top-of-the line RMC Roadster of which only 500 were built, mainly for the American market so a mere 100 RHD versions were specified, making this a very rare car indeed.

The rebuild included new timber frame in Ash & Beech, complete mechanical overhaul (every nut and bolt) new interior leather upholstery, new paint job (£9000) with great attention paid to the cosmetic details, both inside and out. It must rank as one of the best restored cars in existance.

Considering it cost the last but one owner over £100,000 to acquire and restore this car, it represents very good value at £52,995. To replicate this today would cost considerably more.

Comes with old buff logbook (from which it appears to be a matching numbers example) V5, Workshop Manual, Owner’s Manual, Restoration bills and photographs. Toolbag, Tonneau cover, Sidescreens, Winged mascot.

For more information call John on 01253 734199.

Marque History

Despite producing some fine small saloons and sporting cars, and carving out an enviable competition record for itself during the early 1930s, Riley had lost its battle to remain independent by the decade’s end and became part of the Nuffield Organisation. Rileys of the immediate post-war years were, nevertheless, recognisably products of the ‘old firm’.

Most popular of these was the 1½-litre RMA sports saloon, which came with torsion bar independent front suspension, rack-and-pinion steering, Girling hydro-mechanical brakes, four-speed synchromesh gearbox and Riley’s classic twin-camshaft, overhead-valve engine in four-cylinder guise. Further up the range there was the 2½-litre RMB (identical to the 1½-litre model from the windscreen backwards) which used the pre-war Big Four’s 90bhp engine in a lengthened RMA chassis.

Built at Coventry and introduced in 1946, the RMB was blessed with 100bhp from 1948 (at which time production was shifted to the MG works at Abingdon) and in this form was good for a top speed of around 95mph.

Three-seater RMC roadster and RMD drophead coupé versions were manufactured between 1948 and 1951 before the surviving Riley 2½-Litre saloon model was face-lifted in 1½-Litre RME fashion, becoming the RMF. A total of 507 RMCs and 502 RMDs had been completed by the time production of soft-top RMs ceased.